Sonntag, 20. Dezember 2009

Quotations from chapter eight

1) "My dad was sober."(p.41, l.9)

->double meaning ->normally drunk (now not agressive)
->clear ->able to talk
-religion
"sober"->the sentence underlines the unnormal family situation


2) "Like a lot of Punjabi men, he didn´t drink or eat meat on Sundays. It was like some kind of religious fashion statement that he was making, only he tended to get even more plastered on Saturdaay nights to make up for it."(p. 41, ll. 10-14)

->he just pretends to be religious ->hypocrite
->climax / hyperbole


3) "I knew it had to be about marriage because it had been exactly the same when he had told Harry" (p. 42, ll.27-29)

->comparison (traditions are repeated)


4) "It was all a con really" (p.42, l.40)

->genelisation / exaggeration (blackmail)


5) "Thing is, I was totally different to Harry. Totally" (p.43, l.5)

->comparison / repitition (->emphasises the word)


6) "My dad obviously saw my reaction because he changed his lecture to one about how it was my duty to uphold his honour, his izzat. To protect the family name and all that." (p.44, ll.35-37)

->repitition (his) / ->paralellism / ->ellipsis


7) "I already knew that she was gonna do it -knew that she was just putting on an act to scare me into accepting their way of doing things." (p.44, ll.36-38)

->repitition (to know) / paralellism, similar structure


8) "I felt like I was stuck. Like I had no choice. I mean, how could Ibecome the cause of so much grief and sadness for my parents ? How could I ?" (p.45, ll.2-5)

->rhetorical question ->sadness, no idea what to do / Yes, how could / can he achieve that ?
->what can he do ? ->plan ?!
->repitition of the pronoun "I" ->focus
->comparison / ellipsis

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen